It is composed in such a way that one can attain knowledge of Brahman. Beginning with Sri Mata, it becomes complete with the name Lalithambika, where Shiva and Shakti are united.
This stotra is chanted in almost all Bhagavathy pujas. Devotees believe that reciting this stotra daily, particularly on Fridays and Navaratri days will bring prosperity and salvation and remove miseries. The benefits of Lalitha Sahasranamam are mentioned in the Markandeya Purana and was taught by Sage Markandeya to Sage Agastya.
- Lalitha Sahasranamam cures all diseases and gives one all types of wealth, prevents all accidental and untimely death.
- It is a cure for all types of illnesses, and gives rise to long life, male progeny and three types of wealth.
- The one who chants Lalitha Sahasranamam would get as much as one crore times the merit of taking bath in sacred rivers like Ganga, consecrating one crore lingas, one crore times giving in Kurukshetra on Sundays giving, one crore gold ornaments to the twice born who has learned Vedas, doing one crore Ashwamedha yagas in the shores of the Ganges, digging one crore wells with water in the deserts, feeding one crore Brahmins daily during the famine, or doing with great attention training one thousand children.
- Reading even one of the thousand names removes all the sins committed by the devotee
- Even the sin incurred by not performing the daily sacred routines, would be washed away fast
- Lalitha Sahasranamam removes the sins performed by people in the 14 worlds
- Devotees who daily sing these thousand names will have heir wishes fulfilled.
- If one touches the head of someone who has a fever and chants the thousand names, fever would be cured immediately.
- Storing the water in a pot, and chanting the thousand names, and anointing oneself with that water would remove all problems created by planets.
- By meditating on Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Lalithambika, if one reads the thousand names, effect of poison will disappear.
- Chanting the thousand names and offering butter to the God, bestows ladies with fertility and they will be blessed with a son soon.
- He who reads it daily for one month or at least three weeks, will have Goddess Saraswathi dancing on the tip of his tongue.
- He who chants these thousand names, without any desires or attachments, would get the knowledge of Brahman, and would be released from the bondage of life.